Sunday, September 1, 2013

Race Recap: Logan View Raider Run

Hooray for the 2nd annual Logan View Raider Run! My 7 a.m. run "through the country" was better than expected. I was a little worried about the heavy rains just hours before, but the gravel roads were okay with just a few muddy spots. I met some new and old friends! I even saw some friends from the Dizzy Goat!

Pre-race food the night before was fabulous! All runners received a FREE spaghetti dinner. Salad, garlic bread and dessert filled my plate. Yummy. It was nice to see the various running groups conversing and taking their group picture. I met Loree, a fellow 50 State Half Marathon Member. Nebraska makes state #45 for her!




For those of you wondering what a run "through the country" is...well, it's exactly how it sounds. I passed cows, tall corn, sunflowers and even came across a caterpillar crossing the road. I sure hope he made it. With maybe a mile of payment, the entire course was gravel that included PLENTY of hills. Aid stations were available about every 2 1/2 miles. Gatorade, water and jelly beans alternated the out and back course.

 
Aren't the sunflowers beautiful?!


I kept hearing, Nebraska's hilly? Well, it is! Check out this elevation change!

 
Even though the hills were a killer, it wasn't THAT bad. I managed to run the entire first half, hills and all. And chose to walk up the hills on the way back. See that last hill? Oh.my.word.

Oh...and you can't beat a half marathon for only $35!

After that last hill, I knew I was free. My running friends ran ahead and were already done. Probably enjoying my chocolate milk. Don't worry, I got some.



Hooray! We did it!

PROS: Nice hometown race, post-race food, pre-race food, COLD chocolate milk
CONS: Hills (but nobody can fix that), bad cell service, few spectators on course

Note to self: Don't forget to turn on your GPS watch BEFORE you start. I had to post-pone the start by about a minute. Thanks Susie! It's a good thing I know the race director :)

Not a new state
5th Half Marathon complete.
2:41:22
New Course Record!
2 min. 14 sec. off my PR :(
 
 
See ya in Utah...T-13 days!


No comments:

Post a Comment