Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Race Recap: 2nd Annual G.O.A.T.z Trail Run - 21 miles

It's been two days since those 21 miles. My mind is continuously running in circles wondering how I was even able to do it. I wanted to give up multiple times. And was really considering if just before the first loop (around 10.5 miles)...but something came over me. I wasn't going to quit. I'm not a quitter. I wanted that medal; NOT a ribbon :)



The day started about pretty bad. I got lost. Really lost. I went to the wrong entrance of Glenn Cunningham Lake. This is no small lake. I was on the complete opposite side of the darn thing. With only 20 minutes till gun time, I was frantically trying to find the entrance. At 7:50 am, I saw signs of hope! Phew...that part was over. I go over to check my bag...I forgot my water bottle. After running back to the car, I only had about 4 minutes to recollect myself. No time to really worry, which was probably a good thing.


After some quick directions from Papa Goat, aka Scott, we were off. The first few miles was pretty congested. Single file trail running. All is good. I'm really happy that I decided to go with the cold weather gear; long pants and long sleeves. It was a frisky 35 degrees. I figured with the generous 9 hour cut-off I was sure to get this run done. My intentions were to run the first 13.1 and walk the rest. Well, the first 13.1 took a little longer than I had hoped...


Trail running is hard. It takes dedication, determination and a different kind of runner. Someone I am not. I tripped over twenty times; rolled my ankle twice but never completely fell down (unlike the Dizzy Goat). I cried around mile 14. I wanted to quit around mile 17 but there was no where to go. I was even secretly trying to figure out a way to cut through the woods. But who am I kidding; I'd get lost. My legs were killing me and so were my hips. My 5 hour goal soon went out the window.

The encouragement from runners was amazing. It was probably the only thing that really kept me going. I decided to walk the uphill's and run the straightaways and downhill's. Then I couldn't even do that anymore. I had to walk the last two miles. My intentions where to run the last mile; finish strong. But it was an uphill.

I tried my hardest and I didn't quit. I wanted to! Did I mention that I had originally signed up for the 10.5 mile race but changed my mind. All for a medal...I'm just crazy. That pretty much sums it up. I came into the finish running at 5:38:31. People lapped me...I didn't care. I was done and ready to go home.



Will I run this again? Um...no. But I'm excited about the 12 hr Dizzy Goat trail run! The volunteers were spectacular, the food was stupendous and the runners were encouraging! I'm just not a trail runner. And I'm okay with that.



Special thanks to the G.O.A.T.z, Turkey's Aid Station, Mama's Pizza and Red Dirt Running. The chili was amazing and the salt pill was exactly what I needed. And a special thanks to the volunteers who got all the thistles out of my pants. And I LOVE my shirt.



Kudos to all of those who finished (regardless of distance)...I'm in awe of your excellence. You all deserve a big pat on the back. Thanks for letting me tag along.

See you in Tulsa...Route 66 Half Marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment