Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Part 2: First Double...The Good vs The Bad

With only 10 minutes to change, we were off to the airport. We arrived with just an hour to spare. A little traffic due to gawking at the cop car :) No big deal! With just a small layover at Chicago Midway, we boarded the next plane to Boston. If I was ever tired of flying, this was it.

First mistake of the weekend, forgetting to refill my water bottle in Seattle. Second mistake of the weekend, forgetting AGAIN to refill my water bottle in Chicago. Third mistake of the weekend, flying so damn far not realizing that dehydration could play a major impact on my heath.

3 time zones later we were in Boston. Have you ever flown into Boston before? I thought for sure we were going to land in the water. I kept picturing that pilot that landed in the Hudson River. For sure we were next. It was after 11 p.m., EST and we still needed to drive to the hotel. It actually was quicker than I had expected. What lies ahead I never thought would happen.

We woke up early. Not too early though. I lifted my head up off my pillow and felt dizzy. So dizzy that my head almost felt bobble like. I didn't say anything. I just thought maybe I was tired. Flying cross country was just insane! I gave it a few moments and lifted my head again.

The dizziness continued but it just felt weird. Nothing hurt miraculously. My muscles weren't even sore. I stood up and almost fell over. I couldn't even walk straight to the bathroom. I ran into the dresser and then into the wall. Water. Just drink water. So I did. I drank about 8 ounces and that's when the nausea set in.

What in the world is happening? I can't be sick. I just can't be sick. I kept telling myself to get it together. I started throwing up and it just didn't stop. Time was creeping in and they were leaving soon for the race. I knew I couldn't go. I just couldn't. Get it together! I stopped throwing up and I thought maybe, just maybe I could go. I could walk. Yes, I can walk. I left the bathroom and I still couldn't walk straight. Now how in the world am I going to walk 13.1 miles STRAIGHT. Literally, a straight line.

I gave in. And I quit. You think, no you didn't quit. But yes I did, I quit. Deep down yes, I did. I quit. I was defeated. I flew 3000 miles across the country to just quit. I missed this amazing opportunity to just sit in a hotel and sleep my day away. Realizing now, it was the best decision I ever made. I could have easily passed out on that course and became stranded in some hospital in Boston. Without luggage, my personal belongings, nothing.

I'm still pretty bummed about the entire situation. I never did run The New Bedford Half Marathon that day. But I do have a nice throw away shirt for my next chilly race morning.

 
See you in Lincoln, Nebraska!
May 4, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment