Friday, June 21, 2013

Race Preview: The Dizzy Goat 3, 6, 12-hr Trail Run

Is a stupid is or is a stupid does? Oh my...what have I gotten myself into?!!! 94 Degrees tomorrow on race day. 12 hours of running, walking, and even crawling. Well, I won the race entry! So I guess it's a stupid does!

I won a FREE race entry into the Dizzy Goat 3, 6, and 12 hr. Trail run for tomorrow at Schramm State Park in Gretna, Nebraska. I guess you would say this is my first Ultra. Ultra? Oh my, I think I just wet my pants. This will also be my first trail run. But I run on gravel everyday, so I'm hoping this isn't much different.

So for my FREE race entry...if I keep saying FREE, I don't feel so stupid. I was able to pick my time of a 3, 6, or 12-hr. run. I picked the 3 hr. at first, and then I saw THE MEDAL. Yes, stupid does. The 12 hr. runners get a nicer medal than the OTHER runners.

The Dizzy Goat is the fifth race in the Great Plains Trail Series (GPTS). I, however, didn't run in the other races so my point value is at Zero. If I finish...WHEN I finish, my point value goes to 10. The Series Finale run is this October. Who knows, maybe I'll run that one too! So does this mean, I'm already in last place? 

The Dizzy Goat is a 3.5 mile loop that is ran one way...then the other way...then the other way...then the other way...Geez...I'm dizzy. For 12 hours I'm running, walking, crawling, praying, hydrating, dehydrating, praying some more, and  a little more...I guess I can take brakes, even a nap! As long as I stay on the course for 12 hrs., I'm home free! They say there will be fully stocked aid stations. Water, Gu, Gatorade, Red Bull, Coke and food! Let's see if this lives up to my expectations :)



For desperate moments, I can bring a chair and cooler to put in the Rest Area on the course. But beware of the chair, will I get back up??? I might just bring a book :)

Post race, how can I even think about post race. That's 7pm...after 12 hrs. of staying practically alive. Mama's pizza and Lucky Bucket brewing will be available. And massages from Jeff Cumro of Better Life Chiropractic. Each runner gets two beers, well, I don't drink beer. So some lucky runner can have my beer :) Can I trade beers for massages?

Why does that elevation look so ScArY?!!! Forgot to mention my race packet! I got a North Face dri-fit shirt, a 12 oz. beer glass and other awesome stuff! I'm number 66...so we'll see what tomorrow brings. Is it too early to pray for RAIN??!!

Photos courtesy of Greater Omaha Area Trail Runners (G.O.A.T.Z.)

No comments:

Post a Comment